Adding wiki documentation in spanish

Joaquín Blaya Joaquín Blaya

Adding wiki documentation in spanish

Hi,
We've created documentation for different changes we've made in OpenMRS and it's all in spanish, and I wanted to check that we could post it to the OpenMRS wiki in spanish.

Any objections?

Joaquín
Michael Downey Michael Downey

Re: Adding wiki documentation in spanish

It would be preferable, IMHO, to find a consistent way to handle multilingual content within the wiki in a way that's predictable for everyone.  On one hand, having users search the wiki and find content in multiple languages could be messy; on the other hand, it would be nice to find a convention that encouraged contributions in any language without creating separate wikis for each.

Perhaps we could use a locale extension on the page name?  Or maybe a locale label?  Or maybe there is a Confluence feature or plugin that could help?  I suppose we could just throw it all together & rely on Google Chrome or an embedded Google Translate button to help (though those wouldn't help with search results).

@Michael – any thoughts or ideas?

-Burke

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Joaquín Blaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
We've created documentation for different changes we've made in OpenMRS and it's all in spanish, and I wanted to check that we could post it to the OpenMRS wiki in spanish.

Any objections?

Joaquín
Andrew Kanter Andrew Kanter

Re: Adding wiki documentation in spanish

I agree. If we had keys that link comparable content it would be good. The community can help us translate.

Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH
+1.646.469.2421
Sent from my iPhone 4G

On Mar 9, 2012, at 6:34 PM, Burke Mamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR)

Re: Adding wiki documentation in spanish

I may be wrong, but I think Joaquin is referring to Spanish-specific extensions, such as representing Spanish naming conventions in HL7 and creating Spanish address formats and geographic representations.  I think what he has in mind is how to get up and running quickly in a Spanish-language environment.  If I am correct, then we are not talking about translations or extensions of existing OpenMRS web pages.

sunbiz sunbiz

Re: Adding wiki documentation in spanish

Atlassian is working on this feature for Confluence here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-1076

I like the suggestion towards the end of the above document to use Composition plugin. And have those spanish pages as tabs

---
Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA

My Tech Blog:  http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com
You Live by CHOICE, Not by CHANCE

On 10 March 2012 01:34, Burke Mamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was referring not to translating current pages, but rather adding new material which wasn't on the wiki, but in spanish e.g. one of our programmers changed the interface to OpenMRS and we wanted to put the way he did it, which files he changed and others on the wiki because it's currently not there (or at least we didn't find it).

The deal is that his spanish is much better, so I can't have him translating all of the stuff he posts into english, and plus, we'd like to have it in spanish as well :-)  I could have him put the google translation into the wiki, but I think it'd also be great to have the spanish version because it'll be better.

So, what should we do?

Joaquín
Gerente de Desarrollo, eHealth Systems
Research Fellow, Escuela de Medicina de Harvard
Moderador, GHDOnline.org

Tobin Greensweig Tobin Greensweig