Concept Dictionary for Oncology

Rajib Sengupta Rajib Sengupta

Report Content as Inappropriate

Concept Dictionary for Oncology

Hello All,

For all our implementation we are starting with the MVP dictionary and building on top of it .

Currently, we are implementing for an Oncology Hospital and we are adding several new concepts - we believe some other implementations may have done it already.
In one of the implementer's forum or university forum someone mentioned about PIH that they have built an oncology specific concept dictionary. I searched it in wiki but didn't find one. It will be great if PIH or any other oncology implementation can share their oncology specific concept dictionary

Thanks,
Rajib

Michael Seaton Michael Seaton

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Concept Dictionary for Oncology

Hi Rajib,

Thanks for reaching out.  Do you have any specifications you can share as to what you are trying to do with your Oncology system?

We are in the process of working on our Oncology Concepts, and that work is still ongoing.  I expect that we will be working closely with Andy Kanter's team working on CIEL / Maternal Concept Lab to come to consensus on Concepts and to publish them there.  This would likely be the preferred way for us to share Concepts.  I think we will likely have something to share within the next month or two.

Cheers,
Mike

On 05/14/2012 01:38 PM, Rajib Sengupta wrote:
Hello All,

For all our implementation we are starting with the MVP dictionary and building on top of it .

Currently, we are implementing for an Oncology Hospital and we are adding several new concepts - we believe some other implementations may have done it already.
In one of the implementer's forum or university forum someone mentioned about PIH that they have built an oncology specific concept dictionary. I searched it in wiki but didn't find one. It will be great if PIH or any other oncology implementation can share their oncology specific concept dictionary

Thanks,
Rajib

Rajib Sengupta Rajib Sengupta

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Concept Dictionary for Oncology

Sure. I will be able to send over the complete mapped out forms by this weekend.

Hee are few examples:

Say for "Breast" examination some of the concepts

Age at Childbirth
Number
Hormanal Agent Use Boolean
Hormanal Agent Detail free form text
ER "+ or -"
PR "+ or -"
Her2neu "+ or -"

Then the actual location of the node and each of them should have the following characteristics -

Left Axilla  -size,site,fixity,skin involvement,chest wall fixity, peu d' orange, comment
Left SCLN -size,site,fixity,skin involvement,chest wall fixity, peu d' orange, comment
Right Axilla - size,site,fixity,skin involvement,chest wall fixity, peu d' orange, comment
Left Axilla - size,site,fixity,skin involvement,chest wall fixity, peu d' orange, comment

Or for CNS/PNS examination

CNS & PNS Info GCS Number Range 3 to 15
Info Raised ICT? Yes/No boolean Yes/No
Info Cognitive Impairement? Yes/No boolean Yes/No
Info Urinary Incontinence? Yes/No boolean Yes/No
Info Fecal Incontinence Yes/No boolean Yes/No
Tone Table R-Arm Tone List Increase/Decrease/Normal
Tone Table L-Arm Tone List Increase/Decrease/Normal
Tone Table L-Leg Tone List Increase/Decrease/Normal
Tone Table R-Leg Tone List Increase/Decrease/Normal
Power Table L-Arm Power Numeric Power - (0 to 5)
Power Table R-leg Power Numeric Power - (0 to 5)
Power Table R-Arm Power Numeric Power - (0 to 5)
Power Table L-Leg Power Numeric Power - (0 to 5)
Reflex Table R-Bicep-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table R-Tricep-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table L-Bicep-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table L-Tricep-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table Leg Reflex table List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table R-Knee-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table R-Ankle-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table R-Plantar-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table L-Knee-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table L-Ankle-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table L-Plantar-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table Leg Reflex table List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table R-Knee-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table R-Ankle-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table R-Plantar-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table L-Knee-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table L-Ankle-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed
Reflex Table L-Plantar-Reflex List Normal/Brisk/Depressed

It is getting really complicated as we are trying to codify all the concepts from the current system which is basically free form text. The above are the few ones which we have been able to codify easily (though after few a month of tug-of-war with the doctors  - they obviously wants just free form text :-) ). there are several more which we like to codify but without any existing exhaustive code/list, it seems we have to go back to the free form text entry.

Also, want to let you guys know the other issue that we are facing with openmrs implementation in oncology specific install is lack of drawing/pictures in openmrs.

A picture with the node location says a lot. Converting the location to a code is a very difficult proposition - and in data entry time it is a nightmare. Not sure if any other oncology implementation also have faced it or not - but this is the reason, we are eagerly waiting for two of the GSOC projects (upload image/file and/or natomical drawing)

Andrew Kanter Andrew Kanter

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Concept Dictionary for Oncology

Rajib,

Just to be clear... I don't think you want to "build on top of" the CIEL/MVP dictionary... rather you want to work with us to include new concepts in the dictionary. If you add your own concepts to the dictionary you will no longer benefit from the standard maps, updates, and services that we provide through the standard dictionary. I would like to work with you on new concepts that are required and ensure that they work for the community in general, fit editorial policies and have proper maps to references, etc.

Look forward to working with you,
Andy

--------------------
Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
Columbia University
Email: [hidden email]
Mobile: +1 (646) 469-2421
Office: +1 (212) 305-4842
Skype: akanter-ippnw

Joaquín Blaya Joaquín Blaya

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Concept Dictionary for Oncology

Andy and I are also working on a wiki page to describe how this collaboration would work.  It's at https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Getting+and+using+the+MVP-CIEL+concept+dictionary and it's still a work in progress, but feel free to add comments or questions you might have in there.

Joaquín
Gerente de Desarrollo, eHealth Systems
Research Fellow, Escuela de Medicina de Harvard
Moderador, GHDOnline.org

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Andrew Kanter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rajib,

Just to be clear... I don't think you want to "build on top of" the CIEL/MVP dictionary... rather you want to work with us to include new concepts in the dictionary. If you add your own concepts to the dictionary you will no longer benefit from the standard maps, updates, and services that we provide through the standard dictionary. I would like to work with you on new concepts that are required and ensure that they work for the community in general, fit editorial policies and have proper maps to references, etc.

Look forward to working with you,
Andy

--------------------
Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
Columbia University
Email: [hidden email]
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28646%29%20469-2421" value="+16464692421" target="_blank">+1 (646) 469-2421
Office: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28212%29%20305-4842" value="+12123054842" target="_blank">+1 (212) 305-4842
Skype: akanter-ippnw

Rajib Sengupta Rajib Sengupta

Report Content as Inappropriate

Fw: [OPENMRS-IMPLEMENTERS] Concept Dictionary for Oncology

Understood.

The only issue is we have to implement this by this month. So any help that you guys can provide from the community to move forward, will be really appreciated.

Here is the paper form that we are trying to codify and implement in OpenMRS.  Let me know what will be the best way to move forward.

Daniel Kayiwa Daniel Kayiwa

For all our implementation we are starting with the MVP dictionary and building on top of it .

Currently, we are implementing for an Oncology Hospital and we are adding several new concepts - we believe some other implementations may have done it already.
In one of the implementer's forum or university forum someone mentioned about PIH that they have built an oncology specific concept dictionary. I searched it in wiki but didn't find one. It will be great if PIH or any other oncology implementation can share their oncology specific concept dictionary

Thanks,
Rajib

If we keep uppermost in our minds the unkind and unjust acts of others, we shall find it impossible to love them as Christ has loved us; but if our thoughts dwell upon the wondrous love and pity of Christ for us, the same spirit will flow out to others.

Andrew Kanter Andrew Kanter

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fw: [OPENMRS-IMPLEMENTERS] Concept Dictionary for Oncology

Sorry that I can't seem to view this form. Can you please just email it to me? I have some ideas for you based on the information already provided in your last email...

One key for things like physical exam is not to build specific buckets for each pre-coordinated combination of findings. I think you want to identify a location and then findings in a particular array... such as
Body part | Laterality | Tone
Arm | Left | Normal/Increased/Decreased

Andy