Drug Regimens

gilbert uwayezu gilbert uwayezu

Drug Regimens

Hi All,

Is there a way of managing Drug regimes through web in Openmrs ?, there is a predefined list and sometimes the Regimens change as well as their combination...,
There is something like manage drug orders not possibilities of adding , deleting and combining different drugs.
if this feature available it should be helpful .

Gilbert.

Darius Jazayeri Darius Jazayeri

Re: Drug Regimens

Hi Gilbert,

There is a way to configure the predefined list. There is a global
property called 'dashboard.regimen.standardRegimens'. You have to
configure this XML, and we don't have proper documentation for this.

Take a look at the global property, and see if you can figure out what's
going on there. Hopefully we'll have time to document this at some point.

-Darius

gilbert uwayezu wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way of managing Drug regimes through web in Openmrs ?,
> there is a predefined list and sometimes the Regimens change as well
> as their combination...,
> There is something like manage drug orders not possibilities of adding
> , deleting and combining different drugs.
> if this feature available it should be helpful .
>
> Gilbert.

Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR) Friedman, Roger (CDC/CGH/DGHA) (CTR)

Re: Drug Regimens

From what I have seen, the best approach seems to be an RxNorm-like layered approach.
    --    At the lowest level are the ARV drugs themselves -- neverapine, abacavir, etc.  These have attributes like drug class, e.g. protease inhibitor.
    --    At the next level are the dispensible drugs -- either single drugs or combinations.  This also includes RXNorm third-level data such as manufacturer, strength and form (liquid/pill) are attributes at this level.  This layer interfaces with the pharmacy and supply systems.
    --    The top level consists of combinations of dispensible drugs with the quantity of each which constitutes a daily regimen.  The regimen is identified by its underlying drugs, plus a modifier showing either its dispensible form (combo vs. separate) or its indications (start-up v. maintenance, weight, pediatric, etc.).  In addition there are "generic" regimens where manufacturer or mode of dispensing were unknown, and a no-drug regimen to indicate stops.  The regimens have a "line" attribute (e.g. 0 for none, 1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd).  Because the regimens are sized as a daily dose, they are prescribed or dispensed in number of days, which makes adherence indicators easier to calculate.

This seemed to address a number of different needs: individual patient-regimen decisions, pharmacy-level dispensing, cohort analysis reporting, provider- or clinic-level analysis of prescribing practices, adherence measurements, drug resistance early warning indicators, inter-manufacturer variablity, adverse events.

At the time, concepts of concepts were not available in Open MRS, and even now I believe concepts of concepts are abstract (i.e., could not carry a strength attribute).  It may be better in Open MRS to have the individual regimens as base concepts (with days prescribed/dispensed as the value) and attributes as sets of concepts -- e.g. "Regimen contains abacavir" or "Regimen is pediatric" or "Regimen is first line".  Perhaps there is room for a formulary.