Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Stephen Doxsee Stephen Doxsee

Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

Stephen

To unsubscribe from OpenMRS Developers' mailing list, send an e-mail to [hidden email] with "SIGNOFF openmrs-devel-l" in the  body (not the subject) of your e-mail.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]

Re: Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Stephen,

Great to hear you're interested! Are you just a generally-interested developer, or is there a particular project you're looking to apply exporting HL7 to?

My recollection of the project you're referring to (and this is off the top of my head) was that they did a fine job of exporting OpenMRS data as HL7, but that they didn't really address the question of how you'd actually set up a stream, what would trigger it, etc.

As we speak, Suranga (with Jembi) is working on the ability to export encounters (I think) as HL7, and exposing that functionality via a web service url.

Suranga, how is that project going? Would there be a place for Stephen to help?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Doxsee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]

Stephen Doxsee Stephen Doxsee

Re: Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Darius,

Thanks for your response! I'll actually be volunteering for several weeks at a health NGO in Malawi starting May 21st. They are currently working with OpenMRS and the lead developer there wanted me to look into exporting HL7 during my time there.

So, I don't know exactly the scenario I'll need it for yet but will have a better idea of what specific messages and cases that need to be captured in HL7 soon. Who knows, encounters may be all that we need! From my HL7v3 experience, once the first message gets mapped, it's easier to map new ones.

If Suranga is working on exporting encounters as HL7, I'd love to help any way that I can. Is there a specific use case that he is exporting encounters for? I'm assuming that exporting is in v2?

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Darius Jazayeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Suranga, how is that project going? Would there be a place for Stephen to help?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Doxsee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]

Michael Seaton Michael Seaton

Re: Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Stephen,

Welcome!  We have a project coming up later this year involving integration of OpenMRS with a PACS radiology system, likely using HL7 and Mirth as the integration engine.  For this project, we are likely going to want to export and import Patient Demographics, Orders, Encounters, and Obs.  I'd definitely be interested in talking with you more about this if you are interested.

By the way, where in Malawi and with what organization will you be based?

Cheers,
Mike

On 05/11/2012 09:15 PM, Stephen Doxsee wrote:
Hi Darius,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Darius Jazayeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Suranga, how is that project going? Would there be a place for Stephen to help?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Doxsee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]

Andrew Kanter Andrew Kanter

Re: Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Are we talking about CDA- like standard exports of summarized patient data, or transactional transfers like lab results or radiology? I think having a CCD-compliant import/export tool for OpenMRS would be absolutely amazing... think of what that would mean for interoperability. Since most of the concepts in the CIEL dictionary have SNOMED and other standard maps, I can see us actually being able to accept a CCD from another EMR and have it be mapped into the OpenMRS dictionary and be actionable!

Andy

--------------------
Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
Columbia University
Email: [hidden email]
Mobile: +1 (646) 469-2421
Office: +1 (212) 305-4842
Skype: akanter-ippnw
Yahoo: andy_kanter

From: Michael Seaton <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [OPENMRS-DEV] Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Stephen,

By the way, where in Malawi and with what organization will you be based?

Cheers,
Mike

On 05/11/2012 09:15 PM, Stephen Doxsee wrote:
Hi Darius,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Darius Jazayeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Suranga, how is that project going? Would there be a place for Stephen to help?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Doxsee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]

Stephen Doxsee Stephen Doxsee

Re: Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Mike, thanks for the welcome! I'll be helping out at http://baobabhealth.org/ in Malawi. That project integrating with the PACS system sounds interesting. I'll touch base with you more about it when I get a clearer picture of the needs at Baobab Health...but it definitely sounds like we'll need similar functionality.

Cheers,

From: Michael Seaton <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [OPENMRS-DEV] Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Stephen,

By the way, where in Malawi and with what organization will you be based?

Cheers,
Mike

On 05/11/2012 09:15 PM, Stephen Doxsee wrote:
Hi Darius,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Darius Jazayeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Suranga, how is that project going? Would there be a place for Stephen to help?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Doxsee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]

Re: Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

In reply to this post by Andrew Kanter

Andy, fyi there is a GSoC project this summer, with Jan Flowers as mentor, to do import and export of patient summaries, I assume via CDA.

-Darius (by phone)

On May 12, 2012 7:15 AM, "Andrew Kanter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Andy

--------------------
Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
Columbia University
Email: [hidden email]
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28646%29%20469-2421" value="+16464692421" target="_blank">+1 (646) 469-2421
Office: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28212%29%20305-4842" value="+12123054842" target="_blank">+1 (212) 305-4842
Skype: akanter-ippnw
Yahoo: andy_kanter

From: Michael Seaton <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [OPENMRS-DEV] Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Stephen,

By the way, where in Malawi and with what organization will you be based?

Cheers,
Mike

On 05/11/2012 09:15 PM, Stephen Doxsee wrote:
Hi Darius,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Darius Jazayeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Suranga, how is that project going? Would there be a place for Stephen to help?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Doxsee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]

Bill Lober Bill Lober

Re: Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Yes - via CDA.  Jim Sibley is co-mentoring, and has done most of our CDA work in KE and HT.

Bill

On May 12, 2012, at 1:45 PM, "Darius Jazayeri" <[hidden email]> wrote:

-Darius (by phone)

On May 12, 2012 7:15 AM, "Andrew Kanter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Andy

--------------------
Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
Columbia University
Email: [hidden email]
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28646%29%20469-2421" value="&#43;16464692421" target="_blank"> +1 (646) 469-2421
Office: <a href="tel:%2B1%20%28212%29%20305-4842" value="&#43;12123054842" target="_blank"> +1 (212) 305-4842
Skype: akanter-ippnw
Yahoo: andy_kanter

From: Michael Seaton <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [OPENMRS-DEV] Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Stephen,

By the way, where in Malawi and with what organization will you be based?

Cheers,
Mike

On 05/11/2012 09:15 PM, Stephen Doxsee wrote:
Hi Darius,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Darius Jazayeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Suranga, how is that project going? Would there be a place for Stephen to help?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Doxsee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and
<a rel="nofollow" href="https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/HL7&#43;Output&#43;%28Design&#43;Page%29" target="_blank">https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/projects/HL7+Output+(Design+Page)

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]

Spencer Kathol Spencer Kathol

Re: Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

I'd like to throw my name in to help out with HL7 and CDA-related initiatives.  I have experience developing and implementing HL7 and IHE profiles that use CDA.

-Spencer

On 5/12/2012 6:34 PM, Bill Lober wrote:

Bill

On May 12, 2012, at 1:45 PM, "Darius Jazayeri" <[hidden email]> wrote:

-Darius (by phone)

On May 12, 2012 7:15 AM, "Andrew Kanter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Andy

--------------------
Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
Columbia University
Email: [hidden email]
Mobile: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B1%20%28646%29%20469-2421" value="+16464692421" target="_blank"> +1 (646) 469-2421
Office: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B1%20%28212%29%20305-4842" value="+12123054842" target="_blank"> +1 (212) 305-4842
Skype: akanter-ippnw
Yahoo: andy_kanter

From: Michael Seaton <[hidden email]>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [OPENMRS-DEV] Exporting HL7 from OpenMRS

Hi Stephen,

By the way, where in Malawi and with what organization will you be based?

Cheers,
Mike

On 05/11/2012 09:15 PM, Stephen Doxsee wrote:
Hi Darius,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Darius Jazayeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Suranga, how is that project going? Would there be a place for Stephen to help?

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Doxsee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

I'm brand new to OpenMRS and I'm interested in finding out more about
OpenMRS as it relates to exporting HL7.

It's seems that there was some work done on this a while ago...

see https://source.openmrs.org/cru/CR-TRUNK-569 and

From what I read there, it seems to me that
1) there was a patch that exported two HL7 v2.x messages (i.e. ADT_A28 and
ORU_R01) using HAPI
2) future work could include supporting the remaining HL7 v2.x messages and
integration with Mirth

Is this correct?

As a Java developer with HL7v2/v3 and HAPI experience, I'm hoping that I
might be able to help this HL7 output effort in the month ahead.

[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-devel-l]