HTML Form Entry Thoughts

Steven Githens Steven Githens

HTML Form Entry Thoughts

Hi all!

I'm getting close to wrapping up my first HTML Forms for a project I'm
working on, and had a few questions and thoughts on them.

   ::  Is the Javascript on this page version controlled any where?

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/HTML+Form+Entry+JavaScript+Reference

I started some tooling to assemble my HTML Forms so I can keep the
markup, js, and css in separate files, and put this standard js here:
https://github.com/sgithens/openmrs-scripts/blob/master/standard-htmlform.js

If there is a canonical version of it checked in, I'd like to pull from
that occasionally and contribute some things back. I'm thinking about
name spacing some of the css classes in it ( ie. 'omrs-checkboxGroup'
instead of 'checkboxGroup', etc).

This also has some tooling to push your HTML Forms to an external server
for development.  In my scenario I'm working with other folks who are
defining concepts on a central server (so I don't have them locally), so
I can't use the preview page that takes the file off your local drive.
It just POST's to the same page controller where you'd usually cut and
paste the text in.  If there is a better way to do this let me know.

Also, if anyone is interested I've started a snippets library for our
HTML Form Entry Tags (
https://github.com/sgithens/openmrs-scripts/tree/master/snippets/nxml-mode
).  I'm using them with yasnippets for emacs, but I'm pretty sure the
syntax is the same as gedit, TextMate, randomEditorThatSupportsSnippets.

   :: Random issues

I've stumbled upon a small handful of issues.  I'm mostly working
against 1.7.3 and haven't gotten a chance to try and repro them all
against trunk yet.

- Repeating <br/> tags.   I've noticed that when I use <br/> tags, the
rendered forms ends up with 2 of them where I had one.  For now, I've
just worked around it by putting a display:block style on things I want
to break.
- HTML <input/> labels.  The HTML being produced doesn't seem to link up
<input/>'s with their form labels.  Ie. usually if you click on the
label for a checkbox in an html form, the corresponding input is activated.

I took a quick peek through Jira and didn't see these anywhere, but may
have missed them.

All in all, it's been a pretty pleasant experience developing with HTML
Form Entry so far!

Cheers,
Steve

Mark Goodrich-2 Mark Goodrich-2

FW: [OPENMRS-DEV] HTML Form Entry Thoughts

Steven,

As far as I know, we aren't storing a canonical version, so this is great that you've organized your scripts and put them up on github.

I would definitely add something to the wiki page letting users know what you've created and where to find it.  At some point we may want to consider pulling your openmrs-snippets into the openmrs github repo.

And feel free to enter JIRA tickets for the bugs you have found.

Thanks for doing this...
Mark