Medical student led project in Jarabacoa, DR

Bobby Bobby

Medical student led project in Jarabacoa, DR

Dear OpenMRS Implementers,

My name is Bobby Palmer and I am a second year medical student at University of Central Florida College of Medicine in Orlando, FL.  Being a newer medical program without an established international project, last December our students teamed up with the Latin American Medical Association at the University of South Florida College of Medicine and participated in a short term medical in a town bordering Jarabacoa of the Dominican Republic.  The objective was to observe how an established short term trip operates.  The site location, Los Hatillos, has been managed for over a decade by Project World Health at USF COM.  During our visit, we kept paper records, and later transferred them to an Excel spreadsheet.  Yet, despite our efforts to maintain accurate and precise records, we encountered many of the typical problems inherit to a paper-based system in a rural resource-poor area.

Upon returning to Orlando, I decided to make this problem the focus of my FIRE project, a component of the first two years of our curriculum that allows students to study a particular area of interest.  I had recently read Tracy Kidder’s Mountains Beyond Mountains and decided to start investigating Partners In Health’s medical system.  This lead me to OpenMRS which I have been following and familiarizing myself with since January.  I wrote a short proposal that is attached to this email (caution: a few of the initial plans have been augmented since the proposal's creation).  Originally, I had proposed setting up a network system based at the local university, however, at present I feel the most viable option for initial testing is to use OpenMRS Standalone installed on our school-issued laptops.  Currently, we plan to return in December and I hope to utilize this system as a means of objectively evaluating the trip’s impact.  I have been in contact with faculty at university located nearby in La Vega in hopes of collaborating with them to make this idea a long-term sustainable project.  I would appreciate any input or information regarding this project and any current projects in the Dominican Republic.

Finally, despite countless hours reading OpenMRS Wikis, I am still not sure how to add a patient encounter and was wondering if anyone could direct me; I have been able to modify patient encounters in the OpenMRS Standalone with demo date.  I do not have a background in computer programming.

Warmest regards,

Bobby

--
Robert C. Palmer, MS-2
UCF College of Medicine Class of 2014

Bobby Bobby

FIRE Project Proposal Send.docx (218K) Download Attachment
judy wawira judy wawira

Re: Medical student led project in Jarabacoa, DR

Hello

You need to have forms for your implementation of the system
Forms can be created using Infopath, Xforms or HTML form entry

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Administering+Forms

here is a repository of already prepared forms that are shared

https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/RES/Form+Bank

Once you have a form, you create a patient on the main dashboard,

When you search that patient, there is a forms tab that you can select the available forms (corresponding to your encounter), fill in data and save the encounter details

Judy

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Bobby Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dr. Gichoya Judy Wawira,MD
IUPUI school of informatics
1345 hine street 350
Indianapolis 46202
Indiana

Tel: +1 317 701 6526

www.judygichoya.com

Skype:judywawira
Twitter: Judywawira

Ellen Ball Ellen Ball

Re: Medical student led project in Jarabacoa, DR

@Bobby - Welcome to the community.   Encounters are normally added thru
forms, but there are various modules that can create encounters also.  Judy is
correct to point you to the OpenMRS form bank (for htmlforms) and others can
provide xforms.  We are currently prototyping a touch screen patient registration
at PIH's Zanmi Lasante which will also create encounters.  We have used similar
patient registration in Malawi and Rwanda for production.

Could you provide additional information about the data you have collected?  Is it
patient registration, HIV, TB, surgery?

Congrats to you for all your impressive work.

In solidarity,

Ellen Ball
Partners In Health
[hidden email]

Bobby Bobby

Re: Medical student led project in Jarabacoa, DR

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tech advice.  I have attached the template that we used to collect patient data.  The data was transferred to an Excel file by the students at USF COM and is currently stored at their facilities.

I also had a question regarding OpenMRS compatibility with iPads.  One of our school's donors provided the first three classes with these devices and I was wondering about their compatibility with OpenMRS considering their portability.  I have followed Sana Mobile, but it appears they are typically geared towards smartphone technology.

Thanks again,

Bobby

2011/9/9 Ellen Ball <[hidden email]>
@Bobby - Welcome to the community.   Encounters are normally added thru
forms, but there are various modules that can create encounters also.  Judy is
correct to point you to the OpenMRS form bank (for htmlforms) and others can
provide xforms.  We are currently prototyping a touch screen patient registration
at PIH's Zanmi Lasante which will also create encounters.  We have used similar
patient registration in Malawi and Rwanda for production.

Could you provide additional information about the data you have collected?  Is it
patient registration, HIV, TB, surgery?

Congrats to you for all your impressive work.

In solidarity,

Ellen Ball
Partners In Health
[hidden email]

Robert C. Palmer, MS-2
UCF College of Medicine Class of 2014

interview form template.doc (46K) Download Attachment
Andrew Kanter Andrew Kanter

Re: Medical student led project in Jarabacoa, DR

Bobby,
Wow, this is quite a form... I guess it is true that medical students are willing (or required) to do much more than we'd expect any regular health provider to do... :)  One thing, you will need to turn this into structured data, not free-text if you have any hope of succeeding. I think you might want to identify all of the most common answers you want for these questions and place them in checkboxes, etc.

I am attaching two forms that we did in Uganda. The first (version 2.2) was a typical medical student-like form with free text for HPI and PE. These were not entered, but were recorded for the paper record. The second version (version 3) was vastly simplified to one page so that it would actually be used. In your case, since you can require them to be filled out, you could go with the first version. These have been coded with the MVP/CIEL concept dictionary.

Andy

--------------------
Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

- Director of Health Information Systems/Medical Informatics
Millennium Villages Project, Earth Institute, Columbia University
- Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
Columbia University

Email: [hidden email]
Mobile: +1 (646) 469-2421
Office: +1 (212) 305-4842
Skype: akanter-ippnw
[...]

Ruhiira Outpatient v2.2.pdf (65K) Download Attachment
Ruhiira Outpatient v3.0.pdf (39K) Download Attachment
Rob Borland-2 Rob Borland-2

Problem upgrading 1.4.6 to 1.6.3

Upgrading 1.4.6 to 1.6.3 I get the following error:

                    * Unable to update the database. See server error logs for the
full stacktrace.
                    * There was an error while updating the database to the latest.
file: liquibase-update-to-latest.xml. Error: Migration failed for change
set liquibase-update-to-latest.xml::200912151032::n.nehete:
                    * Reason:
                    * SQL Precondition failed. Expected 'All encounters have a
non-null encounter type.' got 'There are rows in the encounter table
with an empty encounter type. Encounter type is a required field and
must be populated. These encounters need to be fixed manually by setting
an appropriate encounter type.'
                    * :
                    * Caused By: Preconditions Failed

I manually set the 3,922 null values to an unused encounter type value.

The upgrade completed but when I open any Admin function I get the
following error:

     An error has occurred!
                The following error happened somewhere on this page:
                javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
You must specify a fromAttribute when using the patientSet portlet

The full log trace is attached.

Regards,
Rob

error.log (8K) Download Attachment
Ben Wolfe (openmrs) Ben Wolfe (openmrs)

Re: Problem upgrading 1.4.6 to 1.6.3

Why is PatientSet still being called?  Do you have a custom header
that you are referencing in your runtime properties?  You need to
re-sync that to the openmrs header for 1.6.x

Ben

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Rob Borland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Upgrading 1.4.6 to 1.6.3 I get the following error:
>
>                    * Unable to update the database. See server error logs
> for the full stacktrace.
>                    * There was an error while updating the database to the
> latest. file: liquibase-update-to-latest.xml. Error: Migration failed for
> change set liquibase-update-to-latest.xml::200912151032::n.nehete:
>                    * Reason:
>                    * SQL Precondition failed. Expected 'All encounters have
> a non-null encounter type.' got 'There are rows in the encounter table with
> an empty encounter type. Encounter type is a required field and must be
> populated. These encounters need to be fixed manually by setting an
> appropriate encounter type.'
>                    * :
>                    * Caused By: Preconditions Failed
>

> I manually set the 3,922 null values to an unused encounter type value.
>
> The upgrade completed but when I open any Admin function I get the following
> error:
>
>    An error has occurred!
>                The following error happened somewhere on this page:
>                javax.servlet.jsp.JspException:
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: You must specify a fromAttribute when
> using the patientSet portlet
>
> The full log trace is attached.
>
> Regards,
> Rob

> [hidden email] with "SIGNOFF openmrs-implement-l" in the  body
> (not the subject) of your e-mail.
>
> [mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-implement-l]

Rob Borland-2 Rob Borland-2

Re: Problem upgrading 1.4.6 to 1.6.3

Thanks for the suggestion, Ben.

The runtime properties file was indeed referencing a custom splash
screen.  I moved that runtime properties file away and let the
initialization routine build the runtime properties file.

After the initialization routine completes OpenMRS 1.6.3 opens correctly
but I get the same error on any admin function, like Manage Modules, and
also on logging out:

An error has occurred!
The following error happened somewhere on this page:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: You
must specify a fromAttribute when using the patientSet portlet

I couldn't retrieve the error log as the connection to the server went
down.  Maybe you can work out what's going wrong without this log?    By
the way, I have successfully upgraded several of our servers from 1.4.6
to 1.6.3 using their existing runtime properties file.

Regards,
Rob

On 9/15/2011 1:19 PM, Ben Wolfe wrote:

> Why is PatientSet still being called?  Do you have a custom header
> that you are referencing in your runtime properties?  You need to
> re-sync that to the openmrs header for 1.6.x
>
> Ben
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Rob Borland<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Upgrading 1.4.6 to 1.6.3 I get the following error:
>>
>>                     * Unable to update the database. See server error logs
>> for the full stacktrace.
>>                     * There was an error while updating the database to the
>> latest. file: liquibase-update-to-latest.xml. Error: Migration failed for
>> change set liquibase-update-to-latest.xml::200912151032::n.nehete:
>>                     * Reason:
>>                     * SQL Precondition failed. Expected 'All encounters have
>> a non-null encounter type.' got 'There are rows in the encounter table with
>> an empty encounter type. Encounter type is a required field and must be
>> populated. These encounters need to be fixed manually by setting an
>> appropriate encounter type.'
>>                     * :
>>                     * Caused By: Preconditions Failed
>>

>> I manually set the 3,922 null values to an unused encounter type value.
>>
>> The upgrade completed but when I open any Admin function I get the following
>> error:
>>
>>     An error has occurred!
>>                 The following error happened somewhere on this page:
>>                 javax.servlet.jsp.JspException:
>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: You must specify a fromAttribute when
>> using the patientSet portlet
>>
>> The full log trace is attached.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rob

>> [hidden email] with "SIGNOFF openmrs-implement-l" in the  body
>> (not the subject) of your e-mail.
>>
>> [mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-implement-l]

> [mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-implement-l]

Ben Wolfe (openmrs) Ben Wolfe (openmrs)

Rob Borland-2 Rob Borland-2

Re: Problem upgrading 1.4.6 to 1.6.3

Thanks for the good advice.  I removed webapps/openmrs and all is well now.

By the way, this time I removed the directory while tomcat was running.
  Previously I always stopped tomcat before removing it.  Was this the
problem perhaps?

Regards,
Rob

On 9/19/2011 12:47 PM, Ben Wolfe wrote:

> [...]
>
>             The full log trace is attached.
>
>             Regards,
>             Rob

>             an e-mail to
>             [hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]> with "SIGNOFF
>             openmrs-implement-l" in the  body
>             (not the subject) of your e-mail.
>
>             [mailto:[hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]>?body=SIGNOFF%__20openmrs-implement-l]

>         e-mail to [hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]> with "SIGNOFF
>         openmrs-implement-l" in the  body (not the subject) of your e-mail.
>
>         [mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>?body=SIGNOFF%__20openmrs-implement-l]

>     e-mail to [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]> with "SIGNOFF
>     openmrs-implement-l" in the  body (not the subject) of your e-mail.
>
>     [mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>?body=SIGNOFF%__20openmrs-implement-l]

The webapps/openmrs folder is the "unzipped" webapps/openmrs.war file.  Removing that forces tomcat to do a fresh unzip of the openmrs.war file, so all of your files would be back to what is contained in the war file and not your custom change.

If you remove webapps/something folder, then tomcat restarts the "something" webapp for you.  Doing it on a running or stopped tomcat shouldn't matter.

Ben

       <mailto:[hidden email]>__>  wrote:

[...]

           [mailto:[hidden email]__IUPUI.EDU