OpenMRS in the cloud, PaaS

Mathias Lin Mathias Lin

OpenMRS in the cloud, PaaS

I'm currently testing different PaaS to deploy OpenMRS in the cloud,
mainly for demo and dev purposes, not necessarily for production.
Today I've tried to deploy it to Jelastic, CloudFoundry and CloudBees,
with various different results. You can follow the status in on
Answers:
https://answers.openmrs.org/questions/526/has-anyone-deployed-openmrs-on-heroku?page=1#597

There is one issue I am wondering about during my deployment on
CloudBees: the setup went through without problems, but afterwards,
when trying to access the index.htm, I am getting the following error
(OpenMRS 1.8.3, Tomcat6, MySql5.1):

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: setAttribute: Non-serializable
attribute __openmrs_user_context
org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.java:1351)
org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.java:1312)
org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade.setAttribute(StandardSessionFacade.java:130)
org.openmrs.web.filter.OpenmrsFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenmrsFilter.java:89)
org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.support.OpenSessionInViewFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenSessionInViewFilter.java:198)
org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:88)
org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)

I googled and found that this error happened to somebody before (User
wanswins, he also tried to deploy it on CloudBees), referring to the
IRC log
https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/IRC/2011-07-12+-+OpenMRS
I supposed it's still an open issue, might be CloudBees specific due
to their individual environment or configuration. Because on a similar
local setup, Tomcat6, JDK6, OpenMRS 1.8.3, I never had this issue
before.

Also found this general info on StackOverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/790705/java-lang-illegalargumentexception-setattribute-non-serializable-attribute

I just wanted to place this info and also the link to Answers into the
mailing list, in case anybody else is testing with cloud services /
PaaS.

- Mathias

Mathias LIN
Meta Healthcare Systems Ltd.
20/F Central Tower, 28 Queen's Rd Central, Hong Kong
T +852 8199 9605, M +86 159 0208 1701, Skype: mathias.lin
http://www.metahealthcare.com
Mathias Lin Mathias Lin

Re: OpenMRS in the cloud, PaaS

I got it working on CloudBees now by implementing Serializable interface for
org.openmrs.api.context.UserContext and redeploying.

FYI - this is the reply from the CloudBees support:

"Data stored in HTTP session are recommended (but not strictly required) by
servlet specification to be serializable, so that container can save memory by
storing inactive sessions on disk or replicate data on other nodes for clustering.
Cloudbees RUN@Cloud is designed to support horizontal elasticity and make this
a requirement. This avoid you to discover later that your application won't scale

The standard tomcat setup don't enforce this as the session replication isn't
enable by default, so you may not see this error running locally. In many cases,
this is *only* a minor error from (lazy ?) developers who forgot making http
session data implements java.io.Serializable, and adding this interface just fixes
the issue."

On Tue, 1 May 2012 18:52:53 +0800, Mathias Lin | Meta Healthcare
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm currently testing different PaaS to deploy OpenMRS in the cloud,
>mainly for demo and dev purposes, not necessarily for production.
>Today I've tried to deploy it to Jelastic, CloudFoundry and CloudBees,
>with various different results. You can follow the status in on
>Answers:
>https://answers.openmrs.org/questions/526/has-anyone-deployed-openmrs-
on-heroku?page=1#597

>There is one issue I am wondering about during my deployment on
>CloudBees: the setup went through without problems, but afterwards,
>when trying to access the index.htm, I am getting the following error
>(OpenMRS 1.8.3, Tomcat6, MySql5.1):
>
>java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: setAttribute: Non-serializable
>attribute __openmrs_user_context
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.jav
a:1351)
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.jav
a:1312)
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade.setAttribute(StandardSessi
onFacade.java:130)
>org.openmrs.web.filter.OpenmrsFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenmrsFilter.java:89)
>org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequest
Filter.java:76)
>org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.support.OpenSessionInViewFilter.doFilter
Internal(OpenSessionInViewFilter.java:198)
>org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequest
Filter.java:76)
>org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
>org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
>org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
>org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(Chara
cterEncodingFilter.java:88)
>org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequest
Filter.java:76)

>I googled and found that this error happened to somebody before (User
>wanswins, he also tried to deploy it on CloudBees), referring to the
>IRC log
>https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/IRC/2011-07-12+-+OpenMRS
>I supposed it's still an open issue, might be CloudBees specific due
>to their individual environment or configuration. Because on a similar
>local setup, Tomcat6, JDK6, OpenMRS 1.8.3, I never had this issue
>before.
>
>Also found this general info on StackOverflow:
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/790705/java-lang-
illegalargumentexception-setattribute-non-serializable-attribute

>I just wanted to place this info and also the link to Answers into the
>mailing list, in case anybody else is testing with cloud services /
>PaaS.
>
>- Mathias

[hidden email] with "SIGNOFF openmrs-implement-l" in the
body (not the subject) of your e-mail.

>[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-
implement-l]

Mathias LIN
Meta Healthcare Systems Ltd.
20/F Central Tower, 28 Queen's Rd Central, Hong Kong
T +852 8199 9605, M +86 159 0208 1701, Skype: mathias.lin
http://www.metahealthcare.com
Andrew Kanter Andrew Kanter

Re: OpenMRS in the cloud, PaaS

I was also looking at how to deploy the standalone application on Amazon web services... I think Daniel said that I could just upload the standalone and then execute the command line. Anyone tried that?

Andy

--------------------
Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH

- Director of Health Information Systems/Medical Informatics
Millennium Villages Project, Earth Institute, Columbia University
- Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
Columbia University

Email: [hidden email]
Mobile: +1 (646) 469-2421
Office: +1 (212) 305-4842
Skype: akanter-ippnw

Rajib Sengupta Rajib Sengupta

Re: OpenMRS in the cloud, PaaS

Yes. We have tried it - but only for testing/demo - It worked perfectly.

Mathias Lin Mathias Lin

Re: OpenMRS in the cloud, PaaS

Haven't tested AWS yet, I was looking more into the ones that
explicitly focus on Java.

So far, of the tested PaaS (CloudBees, CloudFoundry, Jelastic),
Jelastic seems to be the easiest one to deploy OpenMRS, without having
to modify the core code and also with sufficient heap assigned to the
jvm (in the edition that's free to test).
And the admin UI is also good, don't need to use the command line
necessarily, although afaik maven and git is also supported.

I've updated the Answers page with my latest status:
https://answers.openmrs.org/questions/526/has-anyone-deployed-openmrs-on-heroku?page=1

(btw: Andy, I think you've explicitly set a reply-to address in your
mail client, therefore when hitting 'reply' to your mail, it would by
default be addressed to you instead of the mailing list.)

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Andrew Kanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was also looking at how to deploy the standalone application on Amazon web
> services... I think Daniel said that I could just upload the standalone and
> then execute the command line. Anyone tried that?
>
> Andy
>
> --------------------
> Andrew S. Kanter, MD MPH
>
> - Director of Health Information Systems/Medical Informatics
> Millennium Villages Project, Earth Institute, Columbia University
> - Asst. Prof. of Clinical Biomedical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology
> Columbia University
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Mobile: +1 (646) 469-2421
> Office: +1 (212) 305-4842
> Skype: akanter-ippnw
> Yahoo: andy_kanter
>
> ________________________________

Best regards

Mathias Lin
Managing Director

Meta Healthcare Systems Ltd.
20/F Central Tower, 28 Queen's Rd Central, Hong Kong
T: +852 8199 9605, M: +86 186 8820 0424
Skype: mathias.lin

http://www.metahealthcare.com

Meta Healthcare is a social enterprise with focus on healthcare
management and informatics, developing healthcare information systems
to help healthcare providers streamline their workflow, serve their
patients safer, faster and cost-efficient.

Mathias LIN
Meta Healthcare Systems Ltd.
20/F Central Tower, 28 Queen's Rd Central, Hong Kong
T +852 8199 9605, M +86 159 0208 1701, Skype: mathias.lin
http://www.metahealthcare.com
Ben Wolfe (openmrs) Ben Wolfe (openmrs)

Re: OpenMRS in the cloud, PaaS

Can you create a ticket for this Mathias? Should be a quick fix in core openmrs that's backported to previous versions.

Ben

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm currently testing different PaaS to deploy OpenMRS in the cloud,
>mainly for demo and dev purposes, not necessarily for production.
>Today I've tried to deploy it to Jelastic, CloudFoundry and CloudBees,
>with various different results. You can follow the status in on
>Answers:
on-heroku?page=1#597

>There is one issue I am wondering about during my deployment on
>CloudBees: the setup went through without problems, but afterwards,
>when trying to access the index.htm, I am getting the following error
>(OpenMRS 1.8.3, Tomcat6, MySql5.1):
>
>java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: setAttribute: Non-serializable
>attribute __openmrs_user_context
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.jav
a:1351)
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.setAttribute(StandardSession.jav
a:1312)
>org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade.setAttribute(StandardSessi
onFacade.java:130)
>org.openmrs.web.filter.OpenmrsFilter.doFilterInternal(OpenmrsFilter.java:89)
>org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequest
Filter.java:76)
>org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.support.OpenSessionInViewFilter.doFilter
Internal(OpenSessionInViewFilter.java:198)
>org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequest
Filter.java:76)
>org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
>org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
>org.openmrs.web.filter.StartupFilter.doFilter(StartupFilter.java:83)
>org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal(Chara
cterEncodingFilter.java:88)
>org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequest
Filter.java:76)

>I googled and found that this error happened to somebody before (User
>wanswins, he also tried to deploy it on CloudBees), referring to the
>IRC log
>https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/IRC/2011-07-12+-+OpenMRS
>I supposed it's still an open issue, might be CloudBees specific due
>to their individual environment or configuration. Because on a similar
>local setup, Tomcat6, JDK6, OpenMRS 1.8.3, I never had this issue
>before.
>
>Also found this general info on StackOverflow:
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/790705/java-lang-
illegalargumentexception-setattribute-non-serializable-attribute

>I just wanted to place this info and also the link to Answers into the
>mailing list, in case anybody else is testing with cloud services /
>PaaS.
>
>- Mathias

[hidden email] with "SIGNOFF openmrs-implement-l" in the
body (not the subject) of your e-mail.

>[mailto:[hidden email]?body=SIGNOFF%20openmrs-
implement-l]

Mathias Lin Mathias Lin

Re: OpenMRS in the cloud, PaaS

https://tickets.openmrs.org/browse/TRUNK-3327