Proposed Development Sprint: Sharing the MVP/CIEL dictionary

Report Content as Inappropriate

Proposed Development Sprint: Sharing the MVP/CIEL dictionary

Hi All,

I'd like the development work that we do to be proposed more directly by the community. In that vein, wearing an I-TECH & PIH hat, I'd like to propose a development sprint. And hopefully others copy this template going forwards...

-Darius

Goals and Concrete Deliverables
To make it possible to subscribe to the MVP/CIEL concept dictionary, using a module that will automatically pull down new concepts whenever you request them, or via a scheduled task.

Prior Work
Currently the MVP/CIEL dictionary is a great resource, but it gets less use than I think it should since using it requires installing sql dumps to get the updates. Using a combination of the MCL and the Metadata Sharing module, it's possible to download individual concepts from the MVP/CIEL dictionary, and convert them between different OpenMRS versions. With a bit more work, we could automate this process.

Primary Benefits
If people can get updates from the MVP/CIEL dictionary automatically, without needing to get sql dumps from a dropbox, and manually install them, more implementations would be able to leverage that dictionary, and more implementations would be working with a well-curated dictionary.

Secondary Benefits
The work we'd do on this sprint would also allow other groups besides MVP/CIEL to publish their concept dictionaries and have clients subscribe to them.

Proposed Work
  • In the Metadata Sharing module: META-224
  • Create a "Metadata Subscription" module that depends on Metadata Sharing.
    • You configure this module with a URL to subscribe to, a type of metadata, and a frequency to check.
    • With a scheduled process, this module will contact an OpenMRS server running Metadata Sharing at the given URL, and download an on-the-fly package of all metadata (of the given type) with a date-modified after a given timestamp
      • The module will save a timestamp of the last time it checked, so it only needs to download newly-modified items
    • After downloading the package, it will be automatically installed, updating your metadata tables.
      • TODO: decide if automatically installing the package is good enough (e.g. we can assume people aren't editing concepts locally), or if we should also support interactive installation of downloaded packages.
    • For purposes of this sprint we only care about fetching concepts from MCL, but the module should support any kind of metadata from any url.
  • (Optional, hopefully done before this sprint) Allow Metadata Sharing to convert concepts between the 1.7 and 1.9 data models.
What Am I Asking For?
  • One design call to finish defining tickets.
  • Minimum of one week with two devs.
  • (Optionally) several days of Rafal's time to get MDS converting 1.7 concepts <-> 1.9 concepts. (I think he needs to be the one to do this since it requires non-trivial MDS refactoring.)
What Can I Provide?
  • I can lead the design call discussion, create a design page, and create tickets.
  • If we schedule it after the end of June, I should be able to work on the sprint as a developer.
  • Hopefully I can convince another dev or two to join in. :-)

Alvin Marcelo Alvin Marcelo

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed Development Sprint: Sharing the MVP/CIEL dictionary

Hi Darius,

We're piloting two OpenMRS instances supported by PhilHealth. I'd like these implementations to support this CIEL sync feature.

My focal point (clinical) is Dr Patrick Sylim. The technical focal points (for now) are Ms Susan Festin and Ms Rose Ann Sale.

We hope to gather enough momentum to share the process nationally by the October Implementers meeting in Manila...

Looking forward to getting moral support from the Implementers list...

Alvin

Rajib Sengupta Rajib Sengupta

Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed Development Sprint: Sharing the MVP/CIEL dictionary

Hi Darius,

This indeed will be a great feature for different implementations as we work closely with MVP to build the central concept dictionary.

Currently the way to propose new concept to be included in the MVP dictionary is emailing to Andy as proposed here https://wiki.openmrs.org/display/docs/Getting+and+using+the+MVP-CIEL+concept+dictionary. Will it  be possible to make something more automated like a workflow between multiple openmrs systems who are willing to participate?

I will love to be part of this from a implementation perspective and for any testings etc.

Thanks,
Rajib