Re: [OMRS-MENTORS] Discussion place for all OpenMRS GSOC participants?

Burke Mamlin-2 Burke Mamlin-2

Re: [OMRS-MENTORS] Discussion place for all OpenMRS GSOC participants?

GSoC Interns,

I just wanted to share my response to a conversation from the mentors list…

Developers, including GSoC interns, should feel welcome to use the developer mailing list to ask questions & speak to others about developing software for OpenMRS.  If you don't feel welcome, then please reach out to your mentor or any member of the community and help us understand what we can do to make the dev mailing list more welcoming to you.

Those things that become repetitive are helpful to highlight places where our Getting Started as a Developer documentation on the wiki is lacking.  There may be a place for answers.openmrs.org in this as well.

In fact, I would consider any developer who goes through GSoC without ever writing to the developer list likely to have failed the task of learning to become an open-source coder – i.e., the common flaw of people new to open-source: a fear of being wrong.  Part of the beauty of open-source is to embrace the fact that we're all wrong at times and, by working together, we can be better than any one individual could ever be.

Cheers,

-Burke

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Darius Jazayeri <[hidden email]> wrote:
There's always the developer list...

-Darius

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Janet Riley <[hidden email]> wrote:

But is there a shared student and mentor space?

I'm about to give suggestions about troubleshooting configuration. If there were a shared space, all the students could hear my sage and wonderful advice. Odds are at least one of them is having a similar problem.

Janet

----------------------------
Janet Riley
[hidden email]
 www.janetriley.net

On May 10, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Suranga Kasthurirathne wrote:

Hi,

Last year, OpenMRS GSOC Students had their own mailing list (overseen by Michael and Robby) to raise their problems.
Other than that we also had a weekly feedback form to fill in our GSOC experience.

i'm pretty sure that thy have the students mailing list up and running this year too...

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Janet Riley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael, is there a mailing list or group for everyone involved in OpenMRS GSOC?  If one student is hitting some bumps with setup or other common issues, chances are good other students are too. Better to post replies where everyone will benefit.

Janet

Michael Downey Michael Downey

Re: [OMRS-MENTORS] Discussion place for all OpenMRS GSOC participants?

Hi all,

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Burke Mamlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Developers, including GSoC interns, should feel welcome to use the developer
> mailing list to ask questions & speak to others about developing software
> for OpenMRS.  If you don't feel welcome, then please reach out to your
> mentor or any member of the community and help us understand what we can do
> to make the dev mailing list more welcoming to you.

+1. (Or more!) GSoC students, do be aware that you're more than likely
not the first one to run into any problems or ask a question. And
likewise, it's quite likely that other people may have or will have
the same challenges as you.

Michael