Re: OpenMRS as platform for national register?

1 message Options
neal lesh neal lesh

Re: OpenMRS as platform for national register?

Hi Knut, and thanks for bringing us into the conversation, Mark.

I think your question touches upon a number of issues. I believe that OpenMRS has a flexible framework for handling IDs, including assigning multiple IDs for each person.     I imagine there are a number of other issues about whether it is a good store for national IDs, many of which may vary country to country.  One issue might be how well different installations of OpenMRS can communicate or synchronize with each other, or other over-arching national ID systems.

The use of mobile data collection systems can help as well—in particular, being able to give people IDs while out in the field or at temporary clinics is a big plus.  There is a piece or two of missing functionality to make this work the way we’d like to between JavaROSA and OpenMRS but I believe it will come soon. As Mark points out, it’s particularly attractive to connect immunizations, growth monitoring, and infant screening towards efforts to identify and register all people in an area.  And our systems are designed to support that.

Happy to discuss this further!

take care,

neal