Restricting patient viewing by location

Owais Ahmed Owais Ahmed

Restricting patient viewing by location

Dear All,

Does OpenMRS allow restricting certain users to viewing only patients from a specific location? For example, the user ClinicianA can only view patients that have the Location field of their patient dashboard equal to Health Center A. If restricting by users is not possible, then how about restricting by role? For example, all users assigned the role Center A Provider can only see patients that have the Location field of their patient dashboard equal to Health Center A. Thank you.

By the way, does anybody happen to know when and where the next OpenMRS meeting is taking place?

-Owais Ahmed
Systems Analyst
Interactive Research and Development
Suite 508, Ibrahim Trade Tower
Main Shahrah-e-Faisal
Karachi 75350 Pakistan
Tel: +92-21-4327697

Darius Jazayeri Darius Jazayeri

Re: Restricting patient viewing by location

Hi Owais,

The Restrict By Role module will let you do the second version of this.
You'd save a patient search using the cohort builder for "Patients with
location = Health Center A", you'd create a role called 'Center A
Provider' and then you'd use the module to restrict that role to just
that search.

The weakness of this module is that it actually runs the patient search
every time you try to view a patient or search for a patient. So if you
have a large database of patients, it's going to kill your performance.

I haven't tested this against the code anytime recently, so I have no
idea if it still works right.

Hope this helps.

-Darius